Thursday, August 18, 2016

Read Because You Write

Why is it so important to read if you are a writer?

The same reason it is important to ride that bike even when you fall, or to play that piano even when you make a sour note. It is like practice for anything; practice improves you. And reading is one of the keys to practice as a writer.
"Read a thousand books and your words will flow like a river." — Virginia Woolf

I once read a short essay by Virginia Woolf in a writing class I was taking for college. And let me tell you, this quote above is the honest to goodness truth. Her essay was like a river of words, and was excellently written. So, I would have to say that she knew what she was talking about when she made that statement.


As a writer, we may think that the only way to practice is by writing. Well, that makes sense! A person learning to play the violin has to actually PLAY it to practice. And a person learning to swim has to actually get in the pool and swim to practice.


But with writing, it's not all that cut and dry. Yes, it is just as important (if not more) to write as a writer (duh), but it is also critical to read. Read lots of books, as many as you can. But especially read the type of books that you write. Because that will help you the most.


However, don't just read them to read, read to understand and improve. Read with the knowledge of a writer and use everything that author does to improve yourself.


I read a really helpful tip on another writing blog a little while ago that I would like to share with you all. If you come across something in a book you are reading that just makes you stop say wow, or that you wish to you could do in your own writing, then write it down! Pause in your reading, and identify how the writer did whatever it was that made you stop. Then, make a note of it! The next time you are writing and are stuck on something like that, refer to the notes and make use of them.


Here's a plus to this whole idea of reading to improve your writing: if you enjoy reading (like me) then it gives you an excuse to buy lots of books and read, read, read! Because, why not? It is research and practice after all!


So go forth and read to improve your writing!


“I cannot live without books.” — Thomas Jefferson







3 comments:

  1. You're really good with words and metaphors.:D
    I like that writing tip--I've written down a few of the descriptions that have really caught my attention in my reading, just brief phrases. I figured that the only way to learn was to start noticing. :) For example, a few years ago a description of Mary Poppins struck me, and I still have it: "There was the rumbling of distant thunder in her voice."
    BWT I thought the last part of the post was funny, as if the picture was of a studious young Thomas Jefferson or something. (Laughing out loud. :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mm, should be "BTW", sorry. XD

      Delete
    2. Thank you!
      That's a good idea. It always helps to just notice things about the books that you read. You never know when it will come in handy!
      Haha, true. I can see what you mean now. It does kinda. LOL.

      Delete