Thursday, August 11, 2016

Finding the Motivation to Write

Welcome back to my blog! Read on as I talk on about the wonders of writing and how to improve yourself! Thanks for reading!

Yes, this post is going to cover the dreaded topic of motivation. The writer's worse night mare and something that is always a constant struggle if you are honest with yourself. Sometimes its just so hard to get back at that keyboard and actually write. And sometimes when we do get to that keyboard, our brain instantly thinks up a million other things that need to be done.


Or maybe, our brain just decides to shut itself off. And then we have absolutely no words to write and feel (if you're anything like me) that we don't know a single word. That a dictionary us purely a foreign concept and we have no hope of ever achieving it.


But, have no fear! I have here to give you some tips that have worked for me on conquering the path to write and to stick with it.





[tip one] Music.
Yes, music. For myself, I find that music can be my greatest inspiration at times, and my worst enemy at times. Sometimes, the music just makes me write and write and write without stopping, while other times, I find myself typing the lyrics to the song I'm listening to. True story.


So, what do you do? Why, listen to music without lyrics of course! I am not kidding, it really does help. Listening to music that has lyrics forces our brains to have to process those words as well as what we are trying to write and that makes it twice as hard to write. But, if you listen to music that is without lyrics, it helps stimulate our brains and help us to focus. Gaming music especially tends to do this, as it is made to help the gamer focus and be motivated in the game.


[tip two] Location.
I have heard this tip from many other people more experienced than myself, and I have found it to be true. It is very important to find a location that is quiet, and allows you to focus. So that means, distraction free! No internet if possible, no phone, no electronics, no people, no ANYTHING that distracts you. Once you have found your special writing place, you will hopefully find it easier to write more and to write for longer as well.


[tip three] Routine.
This one is especially helpful, but it is also hard to achieve. I am still struggling majorly with this one. It is important to have a writing routine, and to stick with it! If you write every day, even for a little bit, and keep on track, you will find it easier to come back to the keyboard each time.


[tip four] Free Write.
This tip is one that I came up with on my own, but I have found it really effective for myself. I have found it so much easier to write for my books and novel and to focus on them, when I take time to write other things. Sometimes, when I am just writing for the same things over and over and I feel the stress of needing to be serious about it, it can just drag me down and take the fun out of writing.


Because of that, I decided to start other stories and little writing prompts on the side, but made sure to keep them light and nothing serious. By doing this, I am still practicing writing, but I can leave a lot of the stress behind when I take breaks to do these. Then, I feel (surprisingly) motivated to get back writing my more serious stories, sometimes just for the steadiness of them. (Believe me, some of my loose and light stories are pretty crazy)


These are the four biggest tips that work the best for me and I have found to be the most practical. Hopefully these tips help you as much as they have helped me, and give you the push you need to get back to that keyboard!





P.S. No flower pictures this time :) I didn't see how they would fit in to my discussion. But I hope you enjoyed the pictures I did put in!


“Don’t waste time waiting for inspiration. Begin, and inspiration will find you.” 
-H. Jackson Brown Jr.
 

6 comments:

  1. My experience with working with music has been exactly the same, so I found it neat that you put that in there. :) I really like my music with lyrics, so I make sure to always play that when I'm drawing, which helps motivate my sketching too, and words don't get in the way. I can sing, too! :)
    I really like your free writing tip. Do you have any ideas or formulas for 'short, silly stories' that you use? I tend to get bogged down in serious stuff too; it's foiled me when I try my typing fingers at 'lighter' style stories that are lesser in...length. XD
    "What I write when I force myself is generally just as good as what I write when I'm feeling inspired. It's mainly a matter of forcing yourself to write." -Tom Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's funny. At least this isn't all in my head then :) Yes, I find that music is one of my biggest inspirations and motivators ever.
      Thanks! I don't have any ideas personally, but I would check out pinterest for writing prompts. I tend to just pick one out and go from there :) Yeah, sometimes it's hard to just write and not think so much.
      Great quote! I like it.

      Delete
  2. This is a hilarious video series done by homeschoolers. Episode 3 is called Writing Prompts, and it is really funny! Watch them all if you've never seen them before! http://monthofthenovel.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this should have been a reply. Whoops. :)

      Delete
    2. I just checked them out :) They are really funny! Haha, thanks for telling me about them.

      Delete
    3. No problem--I love them!!1 :D

      Delete